Tarcher Top Artist Competition
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE WILL NOT ENHANCE YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO WIN.
Open to residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia, age 14 or older.
HOW TO ENTER
1. To enter the Tarcher Top Artist Competition (the “Contest”), entrants must submit one or the other type of creative piece, as follows:
• An original drawn or painted piece of artwork, in jpeg or PDF format based on the theme of the book, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, or
• A fiction or narrative non-fiction written sample taken from a novel or novella-length manuscript; the entry to be no longer than ten (10) pages (roughly 4,000-5,000 words maximum).
The initial entries (of the written samples) must be sent to email@example.com within the body of an e-mail. Be sure to put “TTA [Your first and last name]” in the e-mail subject line. In addition, each entry must include the entrant’s full name, email address, mailing address, telephone number, age and website URL if applicable. Initial entries (of original artwork) and a brief description of how it ties in to the title, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, should be either e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (file size no larger than 200KB; e-mail subject line “TTA [Your first and last name]”) or, preferably, posted to the Tarcher Top Artist Flickr group page (you must include your full name and age in the description area). These submissions will be used in the selection of ten semi-finalists in each category. Final winner selection will take place as outlined below under Judging.
2. Contest begins January 1, 2012. Writing submissions are due no later than March 2, 2012, 11:59:59 PM Eastern Time (ET). Art submissions are due no later than June 1, 2012, 11:59:59 PM ET. Limit one entry per person and per email account. The sole determinant of time for the purposes of receipt of a valid entry will be the computer servers of Tarcher Books, an imprint of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. (“Sponsor”). Proof of transmission (screenshots or captures, etc.) does not constitute proof of receipt.
3. Entries will not be returned. By entering the Contest, entrants agree to abide by these rules, and represent and warrant that the entries are their own and original creations, and do not violate or infringe the rights, including, without limitation, copyrights, trademark rights or rights of publicity/privacy, of any third party.
4. Entries are void if they are in whole or in part illegible or incomplete. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for late, lost, incomplete, illegible, or misdirected e-mail entries.
5. Sponsor and its parent, subsidiary or affiliated companies are not responsible for technical, hardware or software malfunctions of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications caused by the sender, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Contest which may limit the ability to play or participate, or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the entries. If for any reason the Contest is not capable of being conducted as described in these rules, Sponsor shall have the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. In the event of a dispute over the identity of an online entrant, entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized holder of the email account.
1. On or about March 23, 2012, ten (10) writing submissions will be chosen by Sponsor, and those semi-finalists will be asked to send their full manuscripts to email@example.com no later than April 6, 2012. On or about April 26, 2012, one winner will be selected and notified. Writing entries will be judged on writing skill, content and creativity of the overall piece.
2. On or about June 8, 2012, ten (10) art entries will be judged by an editor of The Artist’s Magazine, and those semi-finalists will be asked to send their original art (a physical copy no larger than 11”x17” or a hi-res image submitted on a CD) on or by June 22, 2012 to Tarcher Marketing, 375 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014, Attention: Discovering New Artists Competition. On or about June 29, 2012, one winner will be chosen by Betty Edwards, author of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. Art entries will be judged on drawing, originality, creativity and how well they reflect the theme of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.
3. Equal weight will be given to each criterion in both categories. The decisions of the Sponsor with respect to the selection of the winners, and in regard to all matters relating to this Contest, shall be final and binding.
4. Winners will be notified via email and/or telephone.
1. Prizes will be awarded as follows:
• One winner will receive the artwork prize, which will include a cash award of $5,000.00 and a full page ad featuring the winning artwork in the Fall, 2012 issue of The Artist’s Magazine (Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”): $8,000.00). Total ARV of prize: $13,000.00.
• One winner will receive the writing prize, which will include a cash award of $5,000.00 and a critique of their entire manuscript by a Tarcher Books editor (ARV: $10,000.00). Total ARV of prize: $15,000.00.
2. In the event that there is an insufficient number of qualified entries or if the Sponsor determines in its absolute discretion that no or too few entries meet the quality standards established to award the prizes, Sponsor reserves the right not to award the prizes.
Open to residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia, age 14 or older. Employees of Sponsor and its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates or other parties in any way involved in the development, production or distribution of this Sweepstakes, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible to participate in the Contest. Void where prohibited by law. All state and local restrictions apply.
1. No cash substitution, transfer or assignment of prizes allowed. In the event of the unavailability of a prize or prizes, Sponsor may substitute a prize or prizes of equal or greater value.
2. All expenses, including taxes (if any), related to receipt and use of prizes are the sole responsibility of the winner.
3. Winners may be required to execute an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release. The affidavit must be returned within fourteen (14) days of notification or winner will forfeit their prize and another winner will be selected. If a selected winner is under eighteen (18) years of age, his/her parent or legal guardian will be required to sign the Affidavit. Should the ARV equal or exceed $600.00, winners shall be required to provide a Social Security Number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to Sponsor for issuance of a 1099 Form.
4. By accepting a prize the winners grant to Sponsor the right to edit, publish, copy, display and otherwise use their entries in connection with this Contest, including display of the winning artwork in an ad in the Fall 2012 issue of The Artist’s Magazine. Winners agree to further allow of use their names, likenesses and biographical information in advertising and promotional materials, without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law.
5. By participating in the Contest and/or accepting the prize, entrants release Sponsor, its parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies or the agencies of any of them and the author of the book promoted hereby from any liability, injury, damages, cost or expense, including reasonable attorney’s fees, arising out of or connected to participation in this Contest or the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any prizes. Art entrants also agree to allow display of their entries on Tarcher Books and the Tarcher Top Artist Flickr page, without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law.
6. Any dispute arising from this Contest will be determined according to the laws of the State of New York, without reference to its conflict of law principles, and the entrants consent to the personal jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in New York County and agree that such courts have exclusive jurisdiction over all such disputes.
For a copy of the winners list, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope by December 29, 2012 to Tarcher Marketing, 375 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014, Attention: Discovering New Artists Competition Winners List.
A Division of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
375 Hudson Street
New York, New York 10014