Betty Edwards is the author of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, the world’s most widely used drawing instructional. She speaks regularly at universities, art schools, and companies. Now retired from her position as professor emeritus of art at California State University in Long Beach, Edwards received her doctorate from UCLA in art, education, and the psychology of perception. Dr. Edwards has been profiled on the Today show and in Time magazine, the Los Angeles Times, the Seattle Times; Reader’s Digest, and other magazines and newspapers.
About Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain: The Definitive 4th Edition
Translated into more than 17 languages and with over 1.7 million copies sold in the United Sates alone, Drawing On the Right Side of the Brain is the world’s most widely used drawing instruction book. Whether you are drawing as a professional artist, as an artist-in-training, or as a hobby, it will give you greater confidence in your ability and deepen your artistic perception, as well as give you a new way of appreciating the way you perceive the world around you. Published on the 33rd anniversary of its initial publication—and 13 years since its last revision—this revised/updated 4th edition will be available April 26, 2012 will include:
- A new preface and introduction
- Crucial updates throughout based on recent research on the brain’s plasticity
- A new chapter that will guide readers in using the five basic perceptual skills of drawing (seeing edges, negative spaces, perspective and proportion, lights and shadows, and the gestalt) to improve general thinking and problem solving in all areas of their lives.
- A new section that addresses recent research linking early childhood “scribbling” to later language acquisition and the importance of parental encouragement of scribbling.
- Many new drawings/illustrations, including new reproductions of master drawings.